re·form: (r-fôrm) v. re·formed, re·form·ing, re·forms v. tr. 1. To improve by alteration, correction of error, or removal of defects; put into a better form or condition. 2. To cause (a person) to give up harmful or immoral practices; persuade to adopt a better way of life.
ma·ma or mam·ma also mom·ma: n. (also m-mä) Informal. Mother.

10.23.2006

Halloweenie

Challies blogged about Halloween today. He raised some interesting points. I was already thinking about posting my thoughts on the topic, even if my thoughts are kind of random.

I really hate Halloween. I don't like seeing mock cemetaries and "dead" people hanging from trees. Ghosts and Franken-ghouls freak me out. Haunted houses are wretched.

I see nothing at all pleasant about celebrating death and fear and terror. Yeah, yeah. I know not everybody celebrates Halloweenie in such a grotesque manner, but I''m talking about the people who do.

I thought we were supposed to think on those things which are noble and pure and righteous. I thought fear did not come from the Lord. If fear doesn't come from the Lord then it must not be a good thing, so why celebrate fear? And don't even get me started about those haunted houses that have fake Jasons and Freddies running around. They are celebrating murderers -- even if the murderers are fake.

The whole "holiday" (ha ha) really creeps me out and that's without even going into it's origins or how pagans celebrate the night.

How should Christians celebrate? I have no clue; earthly or otherwise. I've heard that providing a safe "Christian" alternative is a wonderful thing and I've heard arguments against it. I've heard people say that it's okay to let the kids play dress up and go out for a night of trick-or-treating. And I've heard people say that if Christians participate, even with "good" costumes and no celebration of death or the dark side we are celebrating evil. Challies suggests that the day is a good time to show our Christian love to the unchurched.

As for me and my house though, we are thankful that we will be in the middle of the moving process when October 31 rolls around, thereby allowing us to provide everyone with an adequate excuse as to why Eddie's not participating this year.

Now, Eddie does have a costume, but he wears that on regular days sometimes, so... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home