re·form: (r-fôrm) v. re·formed, re·form·ing, re·forms v. tr. 1. To improve by alteration, correction of error, or removal of defects; put into a better form or condition. 2. To cause (a person) to give up harmful or immoral practices; persuade to adopt a better way of life.
ma·ma or mam·ma also mom·ma: n. (also m-mä) Informal. Mother.

7.09.2006

Saucy Spaghetti


I like tons and tons and tons of sauce on my spaghetti. I like to mop it up with my toasted garlic bread when I'm done with the pasta. I like to just eat the sauce plain. I like spaghetti sauce. That's why it was soooooo important for me to find a recipe for yummy spaghetti sauce.

The recipe I am sharing today is a recipe that I've used for years. I REFUSE to use jarred Prego or Ragu or whatever that "stuff" is unless I'm really really really in a pinch. This particular recipe is a little bit tart and a little bit spicey. I know some people put sugar in their spaghetti sauce, but i think that's weird. No offense.

Anyway... I've also (long before I knew Ed) had guys propose to me after eating this sauce. Now, I don't think that was due to me or this particular sauce, but probably more likely due to the fact that they had only had that jarred stuff.

Ingredients:
1 large can (28 oz or so) of crushed tomatoes
1 large can (28 oz or so) of tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1/2 large can filled with water
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion
3-4 cloves of garlic -- crushed
oregano
parsley
basil
salt
pepper

Directions:
Brown the ground beef in a bit of olive oil. Toss in the garlic and the chopped onion. Cook until onion is clear.

Put the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste in a large sauce pan. Add beef, garlic and onion. Add water.

You'll notice that I didn't add measurements for the spices. That's because you may like it spicier than I do. I typically just dump in enough that the top of the sauce mix is covered with spices, then I stir it up. Feel free to improvise. You really can't mess this up.

Stir together all ingredients. Cover and cook on medium for 30 minutes, stirring periodically. Remove lid and lower heat, cook for an additional hour and a half. You can let it cook for less time, but the longer it cooks, the more flavoring the herbs and spices give off.

Serve over your favorite pasta or with some yummy garlic bread.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

This looks yummy! I put mine up for today ... I love recipe swaps. Thanks for doing this. :)

6:30 PM

 
Blogger Maria said...

This looks great. I followed Stephanie here and am excited to take part in it.

I have posted my first recipe.

8:23 PM

 
Blogger TheNormalMiddle said...

Going to put mine up now :) Sorry I'm a tad late! ;)

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Amanda in NC said...

Just got mine up! That sauce looks yummy - I'll try it with my crew.

9:46 PM

 
Blogger Glenn & Dianne said...

That is a great recipe Bev - it is much like ours. We usually leave ours in a slow cooker on low for anywhere from 8-12 hours. It really tastes great!!!

4:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home