re·form: (r-fôrm) v. re·formed, re·form·ing, re·forms v. tr. 1. To improve by alteration, correction of error, or removal of defects; put into a better form or condition. 2. To cause (a person) to give up harmful or immoral practices; persuade to adopt a better way of life.
ma·ma or mam·ma also mom·ma: n. (also m-mä) Informal. Mother.

6.26.2006

Girlie Girl

I'm not quite sure if it's because I had only brothers or that my mom was not girly or if it's because i have a problem with conformity, but I just can't be girlie. Maybe it's because I used to be a liberal. :)

I guess I could be more girlie, but I think wearing pink and flowery stuff could actually kill me.

It's not that I don't think those things look nice on other women. They do, just not on me.

So why am I even babbling about this? A few years ago I encountered a woman at a message board I frequent who only wears dresses and skirts -- at her husband's request. Of course, I realize that wearing dresses and skirts does not necessarily make someone a girlie girl, but it's more girlie than I tend to be.

I was intrigued. I started reading about dresses and skirts and modesty and why people choose to wear dresses and skirts instead of shorts or pants. I was truly baffled at their decision. For me, there is nothing better than slipping into a nice pair of too-big yoga pants and a huge t-shirt. Besides, dresses and skirts don't fit me -- none of them.

After reading, I came to understand that many women dress in that manner because of their stance on modesty. I can actually agree with the idea that dresses (in general) tend to be more modest than pants and certainly are more modest than shorts. I actually agree to the point where I've considered re-vamping my wardrobe to include more dresses and skirts and to rid it of pants and shorts.

Yeah, I surprised myself with that one too.

The problem right now is that the only dresses and skirts I own (except for maybe one) are not appropriate for life with a 10 month old rambunctious little boy. I've started looking for dresses that would work for everyday life and I found one last week at Goodwill for $4.75. (I love a bargain!)

I wore that on Sunday to church. I left it on all day. Usually I change clothes as soon as I walk in the door after church. I bet my dear, sweet husband told me how pretty I looked about 12 times one Sunday. It was the last thing he said to me before he drifted off to dreamland.

That's enough to ALMOST make me want to turn girlie girl. I think for now I will just settle for re-vamping my wardrobe to include many more dresses (if I can find them for cheap).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home