re·form: (r-fôrm) v. re·formed, re·form·ing, re·forms v. tr. 1. To improve by alteration, correction of error, or removal of defects; put into a better form or condition. 2. To cause (a person) to give up harmful or immoral practices; persuade to adopt a better way of life.
ma·ma or mam·ma also mom·ma: n. (also m-mä) Informal. Mother.

10.08.2006

Lost?

We don't have cable and we get no television stations where we live, so we watch DVDs. We recently finished watching the second season of LOST. It's an interesting show, but I don't think I will continue watching. It's not very edifying and some of Mr. Echo's "theology" bothers me BIG TIME.

That said, I was thinking about the show the other day and how I can kind of relate to the characters. They have been handed one crisis after another after another. I feel like that's been our life for the past two years. Our plane crash was moving to FL. Eddie is our Aaron, but without the "infection." I'm not pregnant like Sun, but sometimes I feel like I must be speaking another language to those around me.

And on and on and on.

I was thinking about that and then I started reading Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper (my favorite writer right now). Then I went to bed. As I drifted off to sleep that night I thought about my life and how I wanted off this "island." I prayed and just asked God to show me the way to safety because I'm tired.

That night I dreamed about being on the island with Jack and Sawyer and Kate and Mr. Echo. There was something else in my dream, but I am not sure what it was. The only thing I remember was waking up and thinking WORSHIP.

Now, I don't buy into Freud and dream analysis and all that mumbo jumbo. But, I do recognize that if something is true and good and noble and righteous and it's brought to memory after a dream, then there is nothing wrong with applying that.

It's interesting to me because since that day I cried out in my livingroom for God to change me, my prayer hsa been for God to teach me how to worship. Worship in today's society is usually seen as that thing we do before preaching but I'm pretty sure that's not the only thing God intended when he mentioned worship.

To be honest, that thing we do before preaching sometimes bothers me because it seems to be more about an ushy gushy feeling and about the people on stage than it seems to be about God. And, I'm not a singer or anything like that, so maybe that's just not how I worship. I dunno.

I do know that worship is something we are to do with every part of our life and we should do it even if we are lost in the wilderness.

Paul said he had learned to be content in every circumstance. James tells us to count all of our tribulations joy. Why? Because it glorifies God when we do.

Piper talks about this very thing in his book. Granted, I'm only about 50 pages in, but... He talks about how when we live our lives to glorify and worship God, everything else falls into place. While things may not go our way and while we may be uncomfortable at times, we can still find joy and happiness simply by seekng to glorify God in ALL we do.

In 1Co 10:31 we are told, "Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." That means EVERYTHING. That's good food for thought, if you ask me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home