re·form: (r-fôrm) v. re·formed, re·form·ing, re·forms v. tr. 1. To improve by alteration, correction of error, or removal of defects; put into a better form or condition. 2. To cause (a person) to give up harmful or immoral practices; persuade to adopt a better way of life.
ma·ma or mam·ma also mom·ma: n. (also m-mä) Informal. Mother.

6.19.2008

Life is Far Too Short.

Just this past weekend a young 22 yr. old woman from my church back in NC became a widow. Her husband was only 21.

I just read about Dennis Rainey's granddaughter who will probably pass into the arms of Jesus with the next day or so. She is only a few days old, but was born with a severe defect.

A few weeks ago, Stephen Curtis Chapman had to bury his daughter.

I could name countless others who have lost loved ones way too soon.

It's not fair. It's not right. It makes no sense. There are no words that can truly comfort those who are grieving. That pain will never completely disappear, even if it does fade over time.

I often struggle between not going and ministering because I don't know what to say or going and saying too much.

As someone who has not lost a spouse or a child, it is easy for me to think, "God has a greater purpose. Yada, yada, yada..." That may well be true. God will surely get the glory from all things, either now or later. I can't help but think that sometimes God would be better glorified if we kept those thoughts to ourselves.

Sometimes, it's enough to embrace the broken hearted and tell them you are sorry, or to say nothing at all. Sometimes, they just need to know that you are there, holding up their arms like Aaron did for Moses or that you are able to help them bear the burden of grief.

One of my professors once said that sometimes the only thing we can do is bring the Holy Spirit into a situation to minister to the hurting. As children of the Most High God, the Holy Spirit indwells us and is with us whereever we go. So, just being there for the broken is ministering.

My challenge to you is to go and minister to that person who needs comfort and strength in the midst of their storm. You don't have to say a word. Just be there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spirit of Adoption said...

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about Dennis Rainey's granddaughter. So, so sad.

I can't imagine being widowed at 22. I wasn't even married at 22!!! We are in NC. I don't know where your friend lives, but we'd love to serve her if we can. You can email me.

2:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home